Thursday 26 September 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Biscotti

Did you know that 'Biscotti' is the plural for the word 'Biscotto'?

Did you know that there is a difference between Biscotti and
                                                                             Cantuccini???

I didn't either, but I am learning.

Biscotti are cookies baked twice with add-ins, added on.
Example nuts--other than almonds, fruit, chocolate.

Cantucci (larger cookie) and Cantuccini (smaller cookie) are usually
anise-flavoured and made with almonds.

Confused?  See below...
http://www.everything-biscotti.com/What-Is-Biscotti.html

I won't confuse you anymore by letting you know that there are different types of biscotti
and cantucci.

After all that I am sure we have decided that the recipe below is in fact, biscotti.

Please see below for the original post.
http://bakersdaughter.typepad.com/the_bakers_daughter/2009/11/lemonpoppy-seed-biscotti.html

The flavour here is pure goodness.
I have never liked biscotti before but after trying these I do.
I will be baking more biscotti in the future; especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up.
I can't wait to try different flavours.

I loved this recipe.  I would consider this a summer recipe.
Lemon.
Poppy Seeds to me are either a summer or a fall thing.  Either way, I love it.



Lemon Poppy Seed Biscotti

1/4 cup butter, room-temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 large egg (whole, both yolk and white)
1 egg white (large)
2 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp lemon zest (I should have used 1 1/2 tsp)
sprinkle--sugar, either granulated or coarse

*Preheat oven to 350F.
Line your baking sheets/pans with either Sil-Pat mat or parchment paper.
*Beat the butter for approx. 2-minutes in a medium-size bowl.
*Add the sugar, baking powder, and baking soda; and mix.
*Add the egg, egg white, lemon juice, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
*Add the flour, one-cup-at-a-time, mixing until all is blended together.
Once all the flour was in, I started using my hands to knead the dough.



*Divide the dough into half and shape into 2-logs.
(I only shaped the dough into 1-log.  Big mistake.) 
(My pieces were mismatched and I only yielded 12.)
(2-small, 2-medium and 8-really large).
*Sprinkle the dough with sugar.

*Bake for 25-30minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.

*Let the logs cool for approx. 15-minutes before slicing into 1/2-inch thickness.
*Place the slices faced down and bake for approx. 10 minutes or
until they are lightly-golden.
*Let cool on wire-rack.



***Please Note:   That I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment