Thursday 17 January 2013

Sugar Cookies, II

I went to my 1st piping class yesterday.  I learned on how to make stars!
Clearly, after seeing my pictures from the Heidi's Sugar Cookies, you know I am in some serious need of help in piping.  I did my best.  I learned from watching You Tube videos.   
Next week we will learn on how to decorate a cake.  I'll let you know how that goes.  :)

I also told you in my last post that I tried a new Sugar Cookie recipe.
(below is the new recipe).
I must say...that I like Heidi's Sugar Cookies better.
Why?  Because the dough was easier to work with and the cookie tasted better.
Did it yield more cookies?  Hard to say. I don't use just one shape.

*This Sugar Cookie recipe is from the Canadian Living magazine.
Special Baking Edition, Holiday 2012.



Sugar Cookies, II

3/4 cup butter, softened (I used Salted Butter, and then omitted the salt)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg (large)
1 tsp vanilla
2  1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

*In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
*In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
*Beat in egg and vanilla.
*Stir flour mixture into butter mixture in 3-additions.  Mix until all combined.

*Divide dough in half; shape into discs.
*Wrap each in plastic wrap.
*Refrigerate for 1-hour (up to 1-Day)

*Let stand at room-temperature until soft enough to roll out.  Approx. 15-30 minutes.
*Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick.
*Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.   
*Reroll any scrapes.
*Using a spatula, place cookies, 1-inch apart, on Sil-Pat (I do this) or on parchment paper or greased baking sheets/pans.

*Bake at 375F, 1-sheet at a time; until pale-golden on bottoms and edges of cookies.
*Let cool for 1-minute on cookie sheet/pan.
*Transfer cookies to wire-racks to cool completely.

*Storage:   Store in an air-tight container for up to 5-days.
                  Freeze, for up to 2-weeks.

*** To decorate, I used Wilton Decorating Icing (ready-made, in tubes).
*Used #18 Wilton tip to make stars.

To Make Stars:  Hold the pastry bag (or in my case the tube), straight-up; hover on cookie, squeeze out icing, stop, and pull away--straight.

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment