Thursday 10 January 2013

Lemon Pound Loaf

Many years ago I married the love of my life.  At the time I got married I didn't know how to cook, bake or do much of anything.  But he stood by me and over the years (and many disasters later) my cooking still needs improving but my baking is good.  I still have a lot to improve on; I think my baking will make it.  My cooking...well...that is another story.  I hate cooking.  It is so unsatifsying.
No one at the dinner party remembers what they ate. 
"Oh, yes, the rack of lamb with steamed vegetables and the jus, were just divine..."
What?!
Yet, we all remember the dessert though. 
Even, if I was just to present tea and cookies.  You would remember what kind of cookies they were.

So, it is our anniversary and I want to make something pretty good.
Menu:  Pasta shells stuffed with ground beef in a rich, vodka sauce and herb bread.
          Dessert:  Lemon Pound Loaf.
Yes, he enjoyed the food. 
Yet, what I found him eating more then one helping was the Lemon Pound Loaf. 
He had 3 slices with some vanilla ice cream.
When I asked him, did you like the food.  His answer, yes, the cake was good.
I am not going to get into the fact that he thinks loaf and cake are the same thing and that the 'food' took longer to make.  And that my point was proven that everyone remembers the dessert not the food. 

Maybe next time we can skip the food and go straight to dessert.
(I used to have a couple of friends and we used to meet up for dinner every so often and when we go we used to eat dessert first and then dinner.  We did it backwards.  Why?  Because dessert is the best part and by the time you eat dinner you were too full for dessert.).

I have always wanted to make sponge cake and pound cake from scratch.
I have made 1 out of the 2.
Even though this is not a 'cake', this was really good!
This make 1-large loaf.  I got 16 slices out of mine.

The recipe calls for Meyer Lemons, I used regular lemons.
It was lemony and light and simple enough for anyone to make.
Will I make again?  Definitely.

Thanks to:  http://traceysculinaryadventures.blogspot.ca/2012/12/meyer-lemon-pound-cake.html



Lemon Pound Loaf

1  3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sour cream
1  1/2 Tbsps. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1  1/2 Tbsps. lemon zest
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
5 large eggs, room temperature, slightly beaten (I beat mine with a fork)

*Preheat oven to 350F.
*Spray or butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan.  Then along the edges, sides and bottom sprinkle flour.
 Dust out any leftover flour.
*In a regular bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
*In a small measuring cup, whisk together the sour cream and lemon juice.
*In a large bowl, using a paddle attachment, mix together the zest and the sugar.
(Mix until you can smell the sweet smell of lemons).
*Add the butter. Beat all together on medium-speed until fluffy and pale (in colour).
**Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.**
*Mix in 3-additions, the dry ingredients mixture, and the sour cream mixture.
(Beginning with the dry ingredients, sour cream mixture [1], dry ingredients, sour cream mixture [2],
(dry ingredients, sour cream mixture [3] ).
*Once all the ingredients have been added, using a (rubber or silcon) spatula, making sure you have reached the bottom of the bowl and scraping the sides; mix all together until combined.
*Pour into prepared loaf-pan.  (Remember to smooth out the top and tap pan on counter to remove the air bubbles).
*Bake for 1-hour or until when inserted with a knife comes out clean.
*Transfer to a wire-rack to let cool for 10-minutes.
*Then turn over.

Syrup:   1/4 cup granulated sugar
             1/4 cup lemon juice

*In a small saucepan, mix the sugar and lemon juice over medium-high heat.
*Cook.
*Stir frequently, until the sugar dissolves.
*Bring the mixture to a simmer for 2-minutes.
*Remove from heat and set aside.

**The cake should still be warm (the cake has been turned over) brush the sides and top with the
lemon syrup.
*Use all the syrup.
*Let the loaf cool completely.  (approx. 1-2 hours).

Glaze:  1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
            2 Tbsp lemon juice

*In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
*Pour over the top of the loaf; making sure the top is completely covered.
*Let it set for approx. 15-minutes before serving.


Storage:  May keep, tightly wrapped, for up to 5-days, at room temperature.
            Freeze: Unglazed, for up to 1-month.


***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment