Thursday 17 January 2013

Lemon Cupcakes

I like lemons. 
They are pretty to look at, smell great, love the colour, and reminds me of summer.
Though the fruit is sour, when made in a cake/cupcake/frosting they are amazing!

My friend wanted me to make cupcakes for her friend's birthday.  I did.
I made these and some plain vanilla ones.  (I will post the vanilla cupcake recipe later).
I tried to make them look like the picture I found on the original blog, but mine did not work.
Therefore I placed fresh blueberries on the cupcakes. 

http://dulcedesignscandy.com/lemon-cupcakes

The lemon cupcake on its own was very good.  You almost didn't need the frosting.
I had to stop myself from eating them on its own.  They were for someone else not me.  :(
Frosted cupcakes makes them look pretty and exciting to have and eat! 
Unless, you have me pipe them.  I need LOTS of piping practise, as you can clearly tell.
One day I'll learn this technique.



Lemon Cupcakes

3/4 cup butter, softened
1  1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2  1/4 cups cake flour
1  1/2 tsps baking powder
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
3/4 cup cream cheese, softened

*Preheat oven to 350F.
*Use cupcake liners to place inside your muffin tin pan.
*Mix the butter and 1  1/4 cups of sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy.
*Add the eggs, and beat.
*Remember to scrape down the edges of the bowl before adding the 3-Tbsps of lemon juice.
*Mix in the flour, baking powder (salt, if you add it separately--1/2 tsp) and 2-tsps of the lemon zest.
*Mix all until just combined.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.

*Mash together the cream cheese, the remaining 1/4-cup of sugar, the remaining 1-Tbsp of lemon juice and the remaining 1-tsp of lemon zest in a medium-bowl until combined.

*Spoon approx. 3-Tbsps of the batter into the cupcake liners.
*Place 1-Tbsp of the cream cheese mixture on top of each portion of batter.
*Cover the cheese with some of the remaining batter  (the batter should be 3/4's of the way to the top of each liner or tin.
*Bake for approx. 20-minutes or until golden.
*Cupcakes should cool in the pan for 5-minutes before turning over to place onto a wire-rack to cool completely.


http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1830,144175-239203,00.html

Lemon Buttercream Frosting:   1/2 cup butter, room temperature
                                                  1 tsp grated lemon zest
                                                  1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                                                  3  1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
                                                  1/4 cup milk
                                                  1 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice

*Beat the butter, lemon zest, vanilla (and a pinch of salt, if using) together until light and fluffy.
*Add the confectioners' sugar alternately with milk until mixture is creamy and smooth.
*Beat well, after each addition.
*Beat in the lemon juice.

*Pipe onto the Lemon Cupcakes and decorate how you please.

:)

**Please Note: I always use Salted Butter in recipes and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment