Tuesday 15 January 2013

Heidi's Sugar Cookies

I have been baking Sugar Cookies with my kids and sometimes the neighbourhood kids too
every Valentines' and Christmas (except for this past Christmas, where I did no Christmas baking). 
This recipe I got from my sister-in-law, Heidi.  Hence, the name of the cookie --
      Heidi's Sugar Cookies.

I like this cookie and normally, when I like something I don't sway from it.
But today, I cheated. 
I tried another Sugar Cookie recipe.  (I will post that recipe another day).

Now let me tell you, how we usually decorate the cookies.
Before discovering Royal Icing and trying on my hand on it.  (see below the pictures)
We decorate using frosting from the can (Betty Crocker Frosting), vanilla and sprinkling sprinkles or coloured sugar on top.  We did make nice cookies.
*Keep in mind, the Royal Icing, I made for the 1st time and decorated with my 1st time.
I know, I need LOTS of practise!

Now back to the cookies, the cookie is crisp and tastes...well...like a sugar cookie should.




Heidi's Sugar Cookie

1/2 tsp baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (I use Salted Butter)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
3 Tbsps milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

*Stir together baking powder and flour; set aside.
*Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
*Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat again.
*Blend in flour mixture until all-incorporated.

*Wrap dough in plastic-wrap and chill for several hours or overnight.

*Preheat oven to 400F.
*Roll out dough to an 1/8th-inch thick. 
*Use cookie cutters or cut out
*Bake for 10 minutes or until light brown along edges.
*Remove from baking sheet/pan and transfer to wire rack to cool before decorating.

***For the recipe for Royal Icing (made with egg whites), please see below.

http://sweetopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Classic-Royal-Icing-Made-with-Egg-Whites.pdf



No comments:

Post a Comment