Monday 10 December 2012

Cardamon Cookies

Christmas is almost here and I am Not in the Christmas spirit.  I haven't started my Christmas baking.
Last year by this time, I was done and I made quite a few varieties. 

Usually all I have to do is look at a baking book and I am motivated.
Not this time...I am in a funk.  I know I have to bake, people are expecting me to bring dessert (I am not hosting Christmas dinner this year) and yet...the baking is not happening.

I did end up baking these little bites for a friend that was leaving.  He liked them but told me it wasn't my best cookie.  Maybe because my heart wasn't it, or maybe I wanted to try something new.
I have to say I recieved mixed reactions.  Some really liked the cookies.  Some did not.
I did; even though there is a funny story behind me making these cookies.
My conclusion is: IF you like the flavour of Cardamon, then you will like these cookies.
IF you don't, then you will probably not like these.

I came across the recipe via FoodGawker.  The cookies are bite-size and they looked so cute.
I made approx. 40 cookies.  I would have had more, but I couldn't stop eating them.

http://www.browniebites.net/browned-butter-cardamom-tea-cookies/

The recipe calls for brown butter.  I browned the butter as the recipe stated I do.
It also states to transfer to a bowl, cool in the fridge for approx. 30-minutes.  I did do this at 1st and then I got a little impatient.  I moved the bowl with the brown butter in the freezer to speed up the cooling process.  BIG mistake.  Because I forgot about it.  When I remembered, it was too late.
The butter was frozen.  I checked the internet on how to 'fix' this problem, I couldn't find anything.
Oh boy, leave it to me to screw this simple task up.
I placed the butter which is suppose to be brown but is frozen in the microwave.
It melts, but it is not brown.
I redo the whole thing.  Back in the saucepan it goes.  Yes, it did get bubbly and foamy, I removed it and placed it back in the fridge for it to cool.  Yes, for 30-minutes.

Then I have 2 eggs left.  The recipe calls for 1.  But it is always good to have extra on hand, in case mistakes happen. 
You know, things happen in 3's.
My 1st mishap was the butter.
The second?  The eggs.
My 1st egg drops, and it goes splat.  The yolk and the whites are scrambled.  I did Not want a scrambled egg!
My 2nd egg, thank God works.  I am able to retract the egg yolk from my 2nd egg.

Okay, so what is the 3rd?
The vanilla extract.
Recipe calls for 1-Tablespoon.  I don't have quite 1-Tablespoon.  I ran out.

I explained what happened to some of my baker friends, and after laughing, they ate the cookies and said it was good.  Yes, they could have lied, but I think it didn't turn out too badly.  I ate them.



Cardamon Cookies (or Bites)

1 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar

* Melt butter in saucepan over medium-heat. 
Stir constantly until butter just starts to turn golden-brown and gets foamy and bubbly; approx. 4-minutes.
*Immediately remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and cool in the refrigerator; approx. 30-minutes.

* Preheat oven 350F.
*Combine cooled brown-butter and sugar and beat at medium-speed until smooth.
*Add egg yolk, vanilla and cardamon; and continue beating until combined.
*On low-speed, gradually add flour until mixture is no longer crumbly and forms a dough.
*Shape dough into 1-inch balls.         Place 1-inch apart onto ungreased baking sheet/pan.
*Bake for 10-12-minutes or until cookies puff and start to turn light golden-brown and
small cracks form on the surface.
*Immediately remove from cookie sheet.     Cool for 1-minute.
*Roll cookies in confectioners' sugar while warm and again when completely cooled.

* Store between sheets of waxed-paper in loosely covered container.


Enjoy!
:)




No comments:

Post a Comment