Tuesday 11 December 2012

Anisette (Italian) Cookies

I remember as a kid my mom's friend making the anisette cookies.  I liked them.  They looked cute as a button.  But then again, I like the flavour of licorice.  You either like the flavour or don't.
When we went to Italian showers/weddings/communions, the ladies would have baked huge batches of these cookies and they would be laid out on the tables.  Of course, me having a sweet tooth, I couldn't wait for dessert.

For more information on Anisette, please see...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisette

I am unsure how I found this website.  When I saw the pictures of the anisette cookies, I shrieked because I had long forgotten about them.  Actually this site, has a lot of the 'old' favourites, that I no longer see at Italian bakeries.  Thank you Lisa!

http://www.italian-dessert-recipes.com/anisette_cookies.html

I must say this is an easy recipe.  The flavour of the anisette does come through.
Got great reviews (again, if you like the anisette flavour, this will be a winner).
Yield: approx. 35 cookies.

















Anisette (Italian) Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure anise extract
1 tsp pure lemon extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsps baking powder
1 egg (large)

*Preheat oven to 350F.
*Beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
*Stir in both extracts.
*Add dry ingredients, mix until combined.
*Add egg.  Mix together.
*Form dough into 1-inch-balls.  Place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet/pan.
*Bake for approx. 15 minutes.  Or until firm to the touch.  With these cookies you can tell when done.  And the aroma.....mmm....
*Remove from baking sheet/pan and let Cool.

Vanilla Glaze:  1 cup confectioners' sugar
                         milk
                         coloured sprinkles (the ball kind--Nonpareils)

*Add enough milk to make the correct consistency for glaze.

**Once the Anisette Cookie has cooled and the glaze is made, dip the cookie into the glaze and
sprinkle the 'colourful' sprinkles on top.

Enjoy!
:)

Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment