Friday 30 November 2012

Nutella-Pretzel Brownies

Did I ever tell you that I LOVE Nutella??!!
When I purchase Nutella, I usually purchase a lot at one time (especially when it is on sale).
I purchase one for each of my kids (they get their own jar...this I don't like to share), one for me and one for my baking.

Now, I know Nutella goes with everything and anything.
So, when I came across this recipe, I had to try it.
Salty pretzels and sweet Nutella = a better tasting yummy.

Now, I got mixed reviews on this brownie.
Some said the crust was too much, too crumbly (I think this is my fault, not of the recipe),
others said the brownie was too dry (again, my fault, not the recipe)
and others LOVED it. 
Which I guess, makes me come to the conclusion that I can't make everyone happy.

They do look yummy.

The recipe is from http://www.bakingdom.com/2012/04/nutella-pretzel-brownies.html

it states in only makes 1-8x8-inch batch.  I got a bit more, therefore I made more.
There was no complaints there.



Nutella-Pretzel Brownies

Crust:   1  1/2 cups pretzels
             1/3 cup brown sugar
             3 Tbsps butter, melted

*Preheat oven to 350F.
*Butter or lightly coat an 8x8-inch-baking pan (I used a glass pan) with cooking spray; set aside.
*Place the pretzels in the food-processor and pulse until broken up into tiny pieces.
*Add the sugar and pulse until combined.
*Then pour in the butter.  Continue pulsing until combined.
*Press the pretzel mixture firmly into the prepared pan.
*Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are golden and crust feels firm to the touch.
*Set aside, while you make the brownies.

Brownies:   1/2 cup (1-stick) butter
                   1 cup sugar
                   2 eggs (I use large)
                   1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                   1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
                   1/2 cup all-purpose flour
                   1/3 cup Nutella (hazelnut spread)
                   1/4 tsp baking powder

*In a medium-saucepan, melt the butter.
*Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in the sugar until combined.
*Add the eggs, one at a time.  Mixing well after each addition.
*Stir in the vanilla.
*Whisk in the dry ingredients until combined.
*Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
*Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it.
*Allow brownies to cool for at an hour (1-hour) before frosting with Nutella and pretzels.

Topping:   More Nutella for spreading on top of the brownies.
                  Extra pretzels for garnishing.


***Please Note:   I always use Salted Butter, and then omit the salt requested in recipes.
You should do what you feel is best.

***Please Note:   I don't have a food proceesor, so I placed my pretzels in a Zip-Loc bag and banged them on the kitchen counter and rolled a marble-rolling pin on top of them to get them to be fine.
I added all the ingredients together by hand.

Enjoy!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment