Monday 12 November 2012

Apple Cookies

I still haven't made the Apple Crumble as I had promised to my kids.
I made the Apple Cake and now I am on to the Apple Cookies.
I wanted something different.
These were different but simple and nice.  Homey, comforting and well-liked by others.
I, on the other hand, were not too impressed by them. 
It might be the fact, that I, don't like cooked or baked apples.  That is right, I don't like Apple Pie, Apple Crumble (my family and friends do), Baked Apples or anything that has apples that are cooked or baked.  Don't get me wrong... I LOVE apples, raw or fresh.

I had googled 'apple cookies' and I was sent to Two Peas and their Pod website.
One of my favourite blogs.  :)

I didn't have the applesauce required for the recipe therefore I added an extra apple and more butter to the mixture.
I also added one-handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter.

Please Note:  I use Salted Butter in my recipes and then I omit the salt requested.
You should do what you feel is best.

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/recipe-for-apple-cinnamon-oatmeal-cookies/




Apple Cookies
Slightly adapted from Two Peas and their Pod.       Yield: approx.  30 cookies.

1  1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of fresh nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp. butter, room-temperature + 2 Tbsp more butter (to replace the liquid lost in not having the applesauce)
1/4 cup gradulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 med-apples, peeled and diced (Gala apples)
1  1/4 cup oats (not quick-cooking oats)
1/2 cup mini-cinnamon chips
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (regular-size, + handful more)

* Preheat oven to 350F.
* Line cookie sheet/pan with Sil-Pat or parchment paper.
* In a medium-bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon (and salt, if using).
* In a bowl, using the mixer with the paddle attachment, mix butter and sugars until smooth.
* Add in the egg and extract.  Mix until combined.
* With mixer on low, add the flour mixture, mix until flour is gone.
* Then add the oats, mix until combined.  Don't Over-Mix.
* By hand, using a rubber spatula, mix the apples and chips until combined.
* Drop rounded teaspoons of the batter onto the baking sheets/pans.
* Place cookies 1-inch apart.  Cookies will slightly spread.
* Bake for approx. 10-12 minutes.
* Let the cookies sit for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire-rack for cooling.



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment