Wednesday 21 November 2012

Apple & Almond Whoopie Pie Cookies

I had a pot-luck party to attend, everyone was bringing something yummy to eat.  What do I bring?
Apple & Almond Whoopies!!! 

I had purchased quite a bit of apples (Gala) and I had made some yummy treats.  What better way to use up the apples?

I must say that everyone loved the Whoopies!  When I mean everyone, I mean everyone.
They were fighting for them.  I put the plate down and I was pushed out of the way.
Then I hear..."ooooh", "and this is heavenly", "this is so good".
I was scared. 
What was happening to these people??

Let's just say, the next time I make Whoopies, I have to top this.

I got the recipe from the book
Whoopies! Fabulous Mix & Match Recipes for Whoopie Pies.  Author: Susanna Tee.
(which I got from the library.  Yes, I visit the library quite often)
http://www.amazon.ca/Whoopies-Fabulous-Mix---Match-Recipes/dp/1402786476/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353509666&sr=1-7

The almond flavour I think overpowers the apple taste and I only used 1/2 tsp of almond extract.
Overall, it was moist, flavourful and appealing.



Apple & Almond Whoopie Pie Cookies

Cookie:   2 apples, medium (Gala)
               1/2 tsp lemon juice
               1/2 cup (1-stick) butter, softened + extra for greasing
               1 cup granulated sugar
               1/2 tsp pure almond extract
               1 egg, large
               2  1/3 cups all-purpose flour
               2  1/2 tsp baking powder

               2 Tbsps. slivered almonds

*Preheat oven to 375F.
*Either grease the wells of a whoopie-pan or use a Sil-Pat to line your baking sheets/pans.
(or line your sheets/pans with parchment paper).
*Peel, core and grate the apples.
*In a small-to-medium-bowl, place the grated apples in, add the lemon juice and toss together.
*In a medium-bowl, sift the flour, and baking powder and stir together.
*Now add the grated apples into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
*In an electric mixer bowl, using the paddle-attachment, beat the butter, sugar and almond extract until light and fluffy.
*Beat in the egg.
*Slowly add the flour/apple mixture with the wet ingredients (butter mixture).
*Either using a heaping-Tablespoon or heaping teaspoon (I used a teaspoon and got 16 whoopies)
place onto the baking sheet/pan.  Please place at least 2-inches apart, to allow for spreading).
(If using the whoopie pan, place dough into the wells, making sure they are greased with butter).
***Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top of the uncooked whoopie.
(I placed the almonds around the edges of the whoopie.)
*Bake for approx. 12 minutes or until firm to the touch.
*Transfer to the wire-rack to let cool.

Vanilla Buttercream Filling:   3/4 cup butter, softened
                                                3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
                                                3  1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
                                                1 Tbsp milk

*Using a whisk-attachment beat together the butter and vanilla.
*Add the confectioners' sugar, 1-cup at a time.
*Finally add the milk and beat until light and fluffy.
(leftovers? Store in the refrigerator for up to 1-week in an air-tight container).

Assembly:  
*Pipe the filling
(either using a pastry bag, with a star-tip OR use a Zip-Lock bag and cut a small corner of the bag) onto the flat-side of a whoopie and find the match and sandwich together.

Bite into a piece of heaven!

Enjoy!
:)


***Please Note:   I use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in the recipe.
You should do what you feel is best.




No comments:

Post a Comment