Wednesday 24 October 2012

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies

One day while wondering what I can bake next, I came across this recipe via FoodGawker.
The cookies looked so decedent!  Red Velvet can do that.  The colour was so vivid. 
This would be a great Christmas or Valentines cookie but I couldn't wait that long to bake it.

While reading the recipe, I noticed it stated it needed a cake mix.
Now I know, some people don't think baking with a cake mix is really baking but there are exceptions to every rule.
When my kids make me cake, they do it from  a cake mix.  When I bake cupcakes for them to practice my decorating skills, I use a cake mix.  So, yes, I do, purchase and always have on hand, cake mixes.
I once made lemon cookies from a lemon cake mix and they came out pretty good.

**The original recipe says to drizzle white chocolate on top.  I didn't do this because I had forgotten to buy white chocolate chips and was too lazy to go to the store to purchase them.
The next time I make these cookies, I will definitely drizzle the white chocolate on top.  I think the added sweetness is needed and the cookies will look heavenly.

The blog, Two Peas and Their Pod are one of my favourites (yes, I have many) and they have many great recipes.  I am sure they will be one of your favourites too.

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/red-velvet-cheesecake-cookies/

So, I put on some Adele and Amy (Winehouse) and proceeded to bake.



Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies

Cookies:   1 box red velvet cake mix (I used President's Choice)
                 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
                 2 large eggs
                 1/2 cup canola oil
                 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

*Whisk together cake mix and flour until clumps disappear.
*Mix together eggs, oil, and vanilla extract with the dry ingredients until smooth.
*Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. (dough will be oily).
*Refrigerate for approx. 2-hours.



Cheesecake Filling:   4-ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
                                   2 cups confectioners' sugar
                                   1  1/2tsp pure vanilla extract

*Using the whisk attachment on your mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
*Using a teaspoon, scoop out the filling into teaspoon balls and place on a baking pan (lined with parchment paper).
*Place filling in freezer for approx. 2-hours.

*Preheat oven 350F.
*Line baking sheet/pan with Sil-Pat or parchment paper. (parchment paper, lightly greased).

Assemble:  
*Take some of the red velvet dough and flatten in your hands. 
*Place a teaspoon of the filling in the center and wrap the dough around the filling.
*Gently roll into a ball, making sure dough is covering the filling.
**Spread the cookies approx. 3-4-inches apart or put about 3 cookies on the baking sheet/pan.
**The cookies are large and will spread.
*Bake for approx. 13-15 minutes, depending on size.  Or until the cookies start to crackle.
*Let cookies cool on sheet/pan for approx. 5 mins.
*Remove cookies to a wire-rack and let cool completely.



Drizzle: 
*Melt the chocolate chips (1  1/2 cups) over a double-boiler or in the microwave.
*Drizzle the chocolate over the cooled cookies.  Let the chocolate harden on the cookies before serving. 



*Store in the refrigerator, if any are left.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment