Wednesday 10 October 2012

Orange-Cardamon Madeleine cookies

Fall is never here until after we celebrate Thanksgiving. 
With that said, Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving the 1st weekend in October. 
This year it was Monday, October 08.

And for the 1st time, I wasn't hosting.  YA!! 
However, I did bring a mango salad and dessert.
I actually brought a trio-of madeleines.  I made Orange-Cardamon, Honey, and Cinnamon Madeleines.

I chose Madeleines because my husband's family doesn't like sweets. 
I don't make pies.
(However, I do think Thanksgiving needs Pumpkin Pie and I look forward to it, every year!)
I was going to make Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, but then they would think that was too sweet.
Madeleines, were just right and I was right.  They liked them because they had flavour and were
cake-like.

I chose the Orange-Cardamon because I had purchased the spice to use for another recipe but never got around to making it.  Therefore, I thought...why not?
Cardamon to me tastes similar to ginger, and now I know why...it belongs to the ginger family.
To learn more, see below....
http://www.food.com/library/cardamom-319

The recipe is from Martha Stewart.
http://www.marthastewart.com/333936/orange-cardamom-madeleines



Orange-Cardamon Madeleines

1/4 cup butter, + more for the pan
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground cardamon (I used green cardamon)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs

*Brush molds of a madeleine pan with butter; set aside.
*Melt butter either in a small saucepan over low heat (or in the microwave on low).
*Remove from heat; add honey and vanilla.
*Let cool (approx 5 mins).
*Whisk flour, baking powder, and cardamon in a small bowl.  Set aside.
*Stir together sugar and eggs in a medium bowl.
*Gently fold in flour mixture until combined.
*Add butter mixture until combined.  Do not over-mix.
*Preheat oven to 325F.
*Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate for 25-30 mins.
*Spoon batter into prepared pan, halfway up.  (I place batter in a zip-loc bag and pipe in the batter into the molds.  I find this method better and less to clean up).
*Bake until cookies are puffed and bounce back to your touch. (7-9 minutes)
*Unmold cookies and transfer to wire-rack.  Let cool.

Orange Glaze:   3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
                          1 tsp finely grated orange zest
                          2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice

*Stir together sugar, zest and juice in a bowl until glaze is smooth and thick.
* I dipped the madeleines, smooth-side down into the glaze and then sprinkled more zest on them.
* I placed mine in the fridge for 5 minutes to set and then let them rest in a cool place.

Storing:  An air-tight-container, in a single-layer for up to 2 days.

*** Please Note:  In order to make Madeleines, you must use a Madeleine Pan.


*** Please Note:  I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt requested in a recipe.

***Please Note:   In the picture the dusted Madeleines are the Cinnamon and
                       the bottom Madeleines are the Orange-Cardamons.




No comments:

Post a Comment