Wednesday 17 October 2012

Blueberry-Lemon Whoopie Pie Cookies

I was flipping through the September (2012) issue of Food Network magazine and what do I find?
A Whoopie Pie cookie recipe!  Say, it's summer, I have plenty of blueberries in the fridge and I haven't tried a blueberry whoopie yet.  Why, not?

The recipe does not yield a lot, I got 6.

The taste for me was okay, but my kids and friends liked it.



Blueberry-Lemon Whoopie Pie Cookies

Cookies:   1  1/2 cups all-purpose flour
                 1/2 tsp baking powder
                 1/2 tsp fine salt
                 1/4 tsp baking soda
                 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
                 2/3 cups granulated sugar
                 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
                 1 large egg
                 1/3 cup milk
                 3/4 cup blueberries

* Preheat oven 375F  (Always position your racks in the middle of the oven).
*In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
*On medium-high speed in a stand-mixer fitted with a paddle-attachment beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. (approx. 5 mins.).
*Beat the egg until combined, scraping down the bowl.
*Reduce the speed to low, and beat the flour mixture and milk in 3-alternating batches.
*Fold in the blueberries with a rubber spatula.

*I prefer and swear by using Sil-Pat on my baking sheets/pans.  Or you could use parchment paper.
Never use waxed paper.  Trust me on this!  I learned the hard way.  :(

*Line your baking sheets with either the Sil-Pat or parchment paper.
*Using either a Tablespoon or teaspoon (depending on how big you want to make them...but remember to adjust your baking times accordingly) or you can pipe the batter on the baking sheets/pans.  Make sure your cookies are 2-inches apart because they will spread a bit.
*Damp your finger and smooth out the tops of the whoopies.  This is for a smooth finish.
*Chill until firm, 30 minutes.  (I did not do this, I just baked.  What can I say? I was impatient).

*Bake the cookies until lightly golden, approx. 10-12 minutes (if using a Tablespoon.  Less IF using a teaspoon).
*Let cool on the pans for 5-minutes, then transfte to a rack to cool completly.

Filling:   4-ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
               3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
               1 tsp lemon zest
               1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
               1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
               pinch of salt
               1  1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

*Beat the cream cheese, butter, zest, juice, vanilla and salt with a mixer on medium-speed until smooth.
*Beat in the confectioners' sugar  on low-speed until combined.

Assemble:   Spread 2 Tbsps of filling on the flat-side of the cookie and sandwich with the remaining cookie.
*Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered overnight.

:)
      

No comments:

Post a Comment