Wednesday 12 September 2012

Vanilla Madeleines

As a child, I always looked through recipes.  It didn't matter if it was a cooking or a baking recipe.
 I would copy down the recipe in hopes that when I grew up I would make them. 
My mom was an excellent cook.  Baker? No.  But cook, yes. 
People would come over for dinner, and the dinners would be 5 or 6 course meals. 
I never helped in the kitchen.  I was out grocery shopping with my dad.  Maybe that is why today I hate cooking and LOVE shopping!   :)

Anyways, back to the Madeleines.    I was at the library one day, and I came across this book
(At My French Table  by Jane Webster) and it was about her and her family going off to France to cook and bake.  Lucky her!  On page 106, there is a recipe on Honey & Lavender Madeleine Cakes.
This is when I fell in love with Madeleines.

Let me explain what these beautiful little cakes are.....
Madeleines are a scallop-shaped French tea cake.  These are soft and delicious.

 Best served the day of with coffee or tea.

     As for storing, IF you had leftovers (we couldn't stop eating them. They are so light and yummy)
     they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
It does state on the internet that you may freeze them. 
But I find the taste alters a bit.  I would not recommend it.


To find out the history of the Madeleines, see below.

http://www.french-property.com/regions/lorraine/food-gastronomy/madeleine-cookie/


Therefore, for Christmas I request and recieve the Madeleines pan.  Yes!
Then I found the Vanilla Martha Stewart recipe.  These were easy to make.
I have the philosophy, If I can make it, so can you!
Usually I make adjustments along the way but because this was my 1st time, I followed the recipe exactly.

**Please Note: In order to make Madeleines, a scallop-molded pan must be used.

http://www.marthastewart.com/856115/vanilla-madeleines



Vanilla Madeleines

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
coarse salt
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsps packed light-brown sugar
1 cup of butter (2-sticks), melted, + more, softened, for pans
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp honey
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

                         ***Madeleine batter can be refrigerated for up to 2 days***

* Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 3/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl.
*Whisk together  eggs and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
*Sift flour mixture over top in 2 additions, folding in after each addition.
*Fold in melted butter in 2 additions, then honey and vanilla.
*** Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.***
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Let batter stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
*Generously butter 2 standard-size or 2 mini nonstick or aluminum madeleine pans using a pastry brush.
*Transfer batter to a pastry bag, and snip tip to create a 1/2-inch opening.
(I used a Zip-Loc bag.  Snipped a small corner of the Zip-Loc bag.  It was faster and less to clean).
*Pipe some batter into molds, filling each about three-quarters full.
*Bake on middle rack until pale gold, 8 to 11 minutes (6 to 8 minutes for mini madeleines). *Immediately shake madeleines out.   (I used a fork to gently pry from mold)
*Wash and rebutter molds. (I reused the molds, I just rebuttered generously everytime).
*Repeat with remaining batter.
*Dust baked madeleines with confectioners' sugar.

Jouir!  (Enjoy!)



No comments:

Post a Comment