Friday 14 September 2012

Cornmeal-Cherry Cookies

Okay, so by now you have noticed I try to bake a lot of Martha Stewart recipes.
Now, I do like Martha but I like a lot of other bakers as well.  (check out my lists of blogs that I follow).
Did I stay I love reading?  I do.  Especially right now, I read blogs.

I am on the cornmeal  kick right now.  The next few posts will be about cornmeal.
For more info about cornmeal, please check out   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornmeal

This cookie is an icebox cookie.  This means once the dough is made, roll or shape into logs, and place in the freezer.  When you are ready, slice and bake. This is ideal if you have company come at the last minute, or for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  You get the idea.

http://www.marthastewart.com/337396/cornmeal-cherry-cookies



Cornmeal-Cherry Cookies


1 cup all-purpose flour, + more for work surface
*In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. 
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
6 Tbsps (a little more that 1/3 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
1/4 cup dried cherries (or cranberries), finely chopped

*With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
*Beat in vanilla, egg, and orange zest. 
*With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; beat until just combined. 
*Stir in cherries.
*Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; pat into a log, 8 inches long and 2 inches wide. 
*Wrap dough in parchment; form it into a rectangle by flattening the top and sides with your hands. 
*Twist ends of parchment to seal. 
*Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.

* Line two baking sheets with parchment. 
*Slice dough 1/4 inch thick, rotating log 1/4 turn after each slice. 
*Be sure to rotate the log a quarter turn after making each slice. This will help it maintain its shape.
*Place 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets. 
*Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are firm to the touch, 10 to 12 minutes. 
*Cool cookies on a wire rack.


Please Note:  I always use Salted Butter and then omit the salt.  You should do, what you feel is best.

***My Review:   
This is a great cookie.  It did come with mixed reviews. If you are a fan of cornmeal, you will like it.
It is light, and the texture of the cornmeal is there.  Make it for people who really don't like sweet things 
(I don't know how anyone could not like sweet...but oh, well.....)
However, next time I will add more Orange Zest and more Dried Cherries.

***What I did, before baking....I dipped one side of the cookie in White Sanding Sugar.
It made the cookie look nice.   :)


Yield:  approx.  15 cookies.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment